Sunday, April 22, 2012

Easy Banana Apple Fruit Sushi

Many people in the raw food community are absolutely crazy about nori rolls. These rolls are made with various vegetable fillings and sauces or creamed nuts. I have tried several of these rolls and I am not a huge fan. I suppose the fishy seaweed taste is an aquired taste. I have read a lot about the minerals and nutrative properties of nori and seaweed and so I will continue to develop a recipe that I really enjoy with nori seaweed wraps. For now, if you love the idea of fast sushi dishes try this sudo-fruit-sushi. It is so easy, if you have nut butter, nuts, honey or agave, fruit and romaine lettuce you are good to go! As an added bonus, I promise kids (and adults!) will love these. It's a good way to sneek in some greens!

Variation 1:

Ingredients:

Organic Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Chunky Peanut Butter
Bananas
Organic Fuji or Pink Lady Apples
Agave or Honey

Variation 2:

Ingredients:

Organic Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Raw Almond Butter, Maple Syrup Flavor
Chopped Walnuts or Pecans (or any soft nut of choice)
Bananas
Organic Apples
Agave or Honey

(Can you believe I found this for five bucks at Wal-Mart?!)
Instructions:

Start out with large organic romaine lettuce leaves. Wash them and pat dry with a paper towel or let them air dry for a few minutes.

Now spread your nut butter gently over the leaf, taking care not to tear the gentle fibers of the greens.

This leaf is covered in chunky peanut butter. If you are sensitive to peanut butter or prefer another butter try variation 2 (ingredients listed above). I would say about two tablespoons of nut butter per romaine lettuce leaf (depending on how large the leaf is).

Now cut a banana in half, lengthwise. Place the banana on the bed of lettuce and over the nut butter. If you are using almond butter, sprinkle some chopped nuts on the butter before the banana. This creats a texture variation of smooth butter and chewy nuts. Drizzle the banana with a little bit of honey or agave. I would say about 1 tsp of sweetener or more, to taste.


Now, add about half of a crisp, sweet apple, cut into thin slivers, over the top of the banana. Wrap up the leafy edges of the romain until it resembles a burritto like roll. Carefully place the roll on its side and cut the roll into 1 inch sushi rounds. It helps to have a very sharp knife for this step.

 This is what you are aiming for... This is like sushi for kids, minus the raw meat and seaweed LOL.
Viola! YUM! :-)

Also, If you are not avoiding bread, you can use spelt bread to make a delicous sandwich! Simply toast the spelt, whole wheat or gluten free bread, spread the nut butter and chopped nuts on top. Thinly slice the banana and drizzle with agave, maple syrup or honey. I'm sure you could even sprinkle some stevia lightly over the nut butter if you are avoiding sugar.


7 comments:

  1. Aimee, I love your recipe! HOW AWESOME! I am always looking for a variation for Essie on her school lunches, and I get tired of bread really fast. This is such a good idea, I am planning it into our meal plan this week! I know Essie will love these!
    THank you so much for posting!

    LOVE YOUR GUTS!
    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashlee! I am going to post a chocolate cream and strawberry filled version later this week:) By the way I miss your blog posts!

    Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I bought the ingredients for this at Costco, and I admit, I will be eating these, too! HHEHEHEHE! I am so giddy and excited! I don't like bread all that much cuz of how it makes me feel. But I still eat it. When I am uber hungry and I give in to pressure cuz everyone else around me is eating it. Paul, the super bread-lover! He needs the calories, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly why I invented these! I wanted a burritto but I was also craving fruit and I usually feel kind of heavy after I eat bread. I'm so glad you want to try this recipe. Please tell me how it went for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Essie says, "Those sandwiches that you invented are the best EVER!"

    And I say, this ended up being dinner when our power was out yesterday. We all LOVED the sandwiches, and it saved my "bacon!" Hehehehehe LOL! Literally, it saved some bacon, somewhere on the planet. JK.

    WE LOVE YOUR FOOD!

    Can I refer to this recipe on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you make the sandwiches on bread or the actual fruit sushi with romaine lettuce? Just curious... And feel free to post anything from my blog! I would be honored! I am so glad you like this post! Tell Essie I love her tons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used the actual romaine lettuce. Total miracle. My child now has 6+ recipes in which she lets me incorporate greens. Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete